Genetics has to be the key, along with weight management.  I just got
back from a week in northern Arizona with a few of my touring buds.
We range in age from 59 to 71.  The strongest rider is a 70 year old
who's 6' tall & weighs 140 lbs.  He rides a Jurassic age MTB and
hydrates with Mountain Dew.  His father is still going strong at 95.
I'm 60, have no weight issues, and can't keep up with this guy on
climbs on my Atlantis.  Pick your parents carefully.  And keep
cranking the pedals.

dougP