Just my two cents' worth ...

Regarding the long slots on the QB's track ends--in my experience an idea that
works somewhat better in theory than in practice.  The angling of the slots to
match the angle of the brake pads is brilliant, but I've found that significant
changes in gearing (for instance, moving from the large to the small chainring)
move the wheel enough that the brake pads are off the rim and onto the tire.
With *really short* brake pads it might work, but more than a few teeth
difference with most brake pads is enough to cause potential problems during
braking.  (Rule of thumb is that a one-tooth change (e.g., from a 15 to a 16
cog) will move the axle 1/8th of an inch.  Moving the chain from the 40 to the
32 chainring will therefore move the rear wheel an inch farther back--imagine
where the brake pads would sit if they moved forward an inch and you'll see the
problem.)

Regarding a half-link--you shouldn't need one.  I've only ever used a half-link
where I needed to make a fixie work on a frame with vertical dropouts.  With
the long slots on the QB, there's just no need to fine-tune the chain length.

--Eric N