I'll chime in and and take it a step further.  How 'bout not welding
any housing stops on the top tube either?  I know this sounds absurd
to most, but I really like the idea of a frame with the barest of
essentials.  There's a fellow on Flickr ('one happy cog') who's done a
knock-out job building up a Steamroller, using housing guides for the
rear brake.
  So, OK.  Why not just get a Surly then?  You see, Riv's model would
have lugs, come in a 'deep wino' paint scheme, have more clearance for
girthier tires, and fender tabs on the fork ends and drop outs.  The
barest of essentials...

(Clearly I'm trying to avoid ordering a custom job).

Peter