on 10/20/10 2:28 PM, doug peterson at dougpn...@cox.net wrote:

> All this talk about longevity me thinking:  How long does a rear
> derailer last?

I've worn out a couple - an old "Deer Head" Deore which was the original on
my '83 Montare mtb. Towards the end, you could actually feel the slop as you
shifted (friction thumbies). It wouldn't reliably hold in the lowest (6
speed) sprocket and was iffy shifting down to the highest gear (yep, new
cables/housing).  That bike saw a lot of hours and learning.  The other was
an XT (silver/black circa '93). That was on another mtb and it just tended
not to shift after a while. Both of those were long cage.

Maybe 6 years of pretty hard, off-road use under all kinds of conditions.

I've got road derailleurs which keep plugging along, but most were
600/Ultegra or higher. And now I put more miles on derailleur-less
systems... ;^)

- J

--
Jim Edgar