For 45-63ish degrees I just wear knee warmers by Defeet called
Kneekers. I wear them under my regular non padded loose fitting hiking
shorts. Wool ones are available too from Defeet and Ibex. Kneekers are
one size only, Ibex offers XS-L.

I know ... some people love knee warmers, some hate them. They can
fall down, the number one cause for dislike.  I've solved that issue
though. I discovered that when the temps warm up in the 60's and I get
some perspiration under the warmers, they stay up just fine. This got
me thinking. I've always used Now brand Vegetable Glycerine(available
in Whole Foods/Co-op/Natural Food type places and online)
http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/PersonalCare/Products/M003277.htm?cat=Personal%20Care
as a grease free hand moisturizer. It takes a while to absorb, so your
hands feel a little "wet" far awhile, though not really. I put about a
quarter sized drop in my hands and apply to my thighs and knees. Put
on the warmers. Like magic, the knee warmers do not move. I've tested
these on rides down to 50 so far, in very low humidity, and they stay
put.

Being long legged, I find knee warmers perfect because I've never seen
knickers that I'd want to wear and are long enough. A few sizes do not
fit all! For temps in the upper 40's to lower 60's though, all I need
is something to keep my knees warm.