I prefer this method as well - it's cleaner and it shifts fine. It
does require extra cable though. I use inner cable meant for a tandem
to reach my rear derailleur.

It's fine to have the cables exit your bar top at the same place.
People who use Campy or Sram brake/shift levers do this all the time.
I like mine to run along the bottom fronts of the bar tops (about 4
o'clock), it feels nice in the hand.

Also, I think it looks much cleaner and has less friction if you route
your front derailleur cable across the head tube to the right side
down tube cable boss, and your RD cable to the left side DT cable
boss, and then cross the bare cable back over underneath the DT on
their way to the bottom bracket. So essentially you follow the natural
curve of the cable housing across to the wrong side of the bike then
compensate by making the bare cable cross over underneath. It sounds
complicated, but this way you avoid excess dramatic cable swoops
trying to get your right shifter cable back over to the right side
down tube cable braze on, and so on. I hope that makes sense. You'll
see right away when you try to route the cable on the bike.