On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 15:03 -0700, james black wrote:

> It does feel weird, but it's also my first time using half-step and my
> only bike with bar-end shifters, so it would feel weird anyway,

and that means you stand at least a chance of learning it without
conflicts.  Are all your other bikes downtube levers you operate with
your right hand only?  That would, I think, be the best situation since
this would be your only real use of the left hand.

I know I'd find it completely impossible to learn.  I have bar end
shifters on everything but the Kogswell Porteur (which has downtube) and
the conflict in learned patters would be horrible.  I still occasionally
suffer from front shifts going the wrong way from all the years I used
backwards-front Sun Tour front derailleurs, even though I switched the
entire fleet 15 years ago.