As long as the retailer specifies that the wheels are handbuilt, i
wouldn't worry about it.  It's the machine built wheels that are the
source of the horror stories.

The formula hubs are a good deal, i've used them before and been
satisfied; they perform well and the bearings last a long time.  Just
as a note, you can't easily convert them to QR since they use a
special shouldered axle.  Surly hubs can be easily converted.

I'm planning to get the 27" CR18/ formula hub rear from harris for an
upcoming project.