I can't stop thinking about my experience this past weekend,
travelling to the Philly Bike Expo on my Bombadil and the train.  It
definitely opened my eyes to the possibilities of this kind of combo
travel, but perhaps more important it exposed weaknesses in the train
transit system that will need further development.  But overall it was
a great experience.

This was my first (of hopefully many future) bike-train trip(s).  Does
anyone else have experiences travelling with your bike by train?  How
would you rate YOUR train service in terms of bike-friendliness?  My
key observations about Amtrak, NJ Transit and SEPTA (greater Philly
area):

- In the hall of shame is Amtrak, which although they allow folding
bicycles at all times, they prohibit roll-on/roll-off along the
Northeast Corridor line (even during off-hours), a situation that
frankly is unacceptable.  This is our national rail system, our taxes
subsidize this system, and yet their mindset is so far behind the
times, it's frustrating. In fact, I wrote a letter to the Northeast
Regional Office of Government Affairs at Amtrak (Peter Cohen) last
winter, requesting special permission to roll my bike onto the train
to Washington to represent my state of NJ at the National Bike
Summit.  Not only did Mr Cohen not reply, after receiving my second
inquiry he referred me to a customer service rep, where I got the
stock party-line answer "We don't have the equipment to handle
this"... which is a gutless and LAME response. (Thumbs DOWN!)
- NJ Transit allows folding-bicycles at all times, and full-size bikes
(roll on/off) during off-peak hours.  The new double-decker trains are
very well-suited for bikes (in the accessible/wheelchair area) and
score high marks!!; the older single level trains are less well-
suited, and require placing bikes in seating areas in close proximity
to other passengers, often encroaching on the aisle.  The conductors
were VERY helpful... this was much appreciated (thumbs UP!)
- SEPTA trains have a policy similar to NJ Transit, and these trains
are single level with no special accommodations for bikes, other than
to occupy an accessible seating space (like NJ Transit's older
trains).  Conductors were polite and very accommodating (thumbs UP!)

The encouraging news is that Secretary of Transportation, Ray LaHood
and the League of American Bicyclists are leaning on organizations,
including Amtrak to change their policy, and to make it feasible for
full size bikes to roll on and roll off Amtrak trains.

One day I hope to hop on a train (with my Riv), and perhaps visit a
few people on this forum.

Peace,

BB