"Phil hubs - are they worth it?"

Well, they're not for everyone.

Shimano makes a nice hub, and a set of XT hubs can be had for well
under the cost of a Phil front hub.  An overhaul requires only a few
dollars in bearings and grease.  Since they're designed with the off-
road rider in mind, they feature better seals than Shimano road hubs,
and I believe current XT freehubs have 10-degree engagement (a
gratuitous selling point for the non-offroader, perhaps).  Shimano
also has a solid reputation for offering very good quality for
reasonable prices.

But, those XT bearing seals won't stop everything.  When water is able
to deliver contaminants to the hub bearings, an overhaul is
necessary.  Even when you don't ride in harsh conditions, Shimano hubs
need regular cleaning and regreasing.  Either you need to pay a local
mechanic to do this for you, or you need to take on the task.  It's
not terribly difficult, but it's more involved than some people want
to get, and you've got to get the adjustment right to avoid damaging
the hubs.

Phil hubs are quite different, and the difference is more than the
finish.  Cartridge bearings aren't intended to be serviced, though
you'll sometimes hear of folks pulling the seals away to add grease to
the bearings.  Don't know how well that works out.  You run the
bearings until they need replacement with new cartridges, available
from Phil, your LBS or a bearing supply house.  I haven't replaced my
bearings yet, but the process is well described by Phil for user
serviceability.  The axles are robust, to say the least.  Phil is
known for superb customer service and standing behind their product.
With bearing replacement and the less frequent freehub replacement,
you could ride these to the end of your riding days.

But the biggest reason I think a Phil hub would be worth your
consideration is the option of building a 40-spoke rear wheel.  At 250-
lbs with the intention of some unpaved riding, this would be
reassuring.  I don't see 40-hole hubs or rims offered on RBW's site,
but they could possibly get them for a build for you.  Talk to Rich,
Peter White and others to get their impressions.  If they convince you
a strong 36-spoke wheel can handle your needs, then you have various
options for hubs.  But if a 40-spoke is preferable, then you're
probably only looking at Phil or White Industries as options.