You may think I am paranoid, but I would never use a U lock or a cable
lock on a bike I am leaving outside. I see way too many broken u-locks
and cut cables.

Whenever possible, I use attended bike parking - we are very fortunate
in the SF Bay Area to have several such facilities. If you frequent
downtown Berkeley, you can get a smart card, enabling you to use the
downtown Berkeley (or any other) Bikestation at the rate of one penny
per hour. This is especially convenient if I am coming home after a
concert, play movie, etc. and the attended parking area of the
Bikestation is closed. The Bikestation has restrooms, lots of racks
and several small lockers (for personal items other than bikes).

When I take my bike to work, I park it in my office.

When I there is no alternative but to park my bike outside, I use a
Quadrachain together with a Mul-t-lock. This is a rather heavy
solution, but is easily carried in my Burley Nomad. The Mul-t-lock is
virtually unbeatable. Boron hasp, unpickable keyway, keyed like the
rest of my Mul-t-locks.

CZ