Either you're missing something or I'm missing what you are saying.
The key for retro direct is that there have to be two independent
freewheel mechanisms because when one is driving the wheel, the other
one is freewheeling backwards.  You can't just use two cogs on one
cassette, because that cassette body cannot simultaneously be rotating
forward and backward.