My go-to cold weather hand protection has always been a simple glove
made from gore windstopper fleece, of which there are many brands.
Here's an example from OR at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/787060

Of course, only being fleece with no kind of shell, they will get wet
if it's actively snowing or raining, but if you're just riding on cold
days with no precip they keep your hands out of the wind without
overheating them, I've found.