Greg:

I'd give the S&S route a second & probably a third thought.
Domestically, you can Fed Ex or UPS a bike for a lot less than the
airlines charge.  I recently sent a 58 cm LHT from Flagstaff, AZ to St
Paul, MN for around $65.  Internationally, you have to figure out
where you're going, then research the airlines serving that
destination.  There really are no rules you can depend upon.

The problem with the airlines is it's a moveing target & subject to
the whims of the check-in agent.  I've traveled with people with S&S
coupled bikes in the S&S case who've not been charged.  I've also
heard from others who've been hit full retail at the gate.  You never
know.  The S&S system is elegant but does require more bike dis-
assembly than expected.  At the other end, it takes just as long to
get a coupled bike together & re-adjusted as a regular bike.

I bought my Atlantis in 03 and fully intended to get a coupled bike.
Rivendell would have done it but cautioned me on the pros & cons.  It
just wasn't as cool in reality as it seemed.  I travel a lot and have
never regretted just getting the standard model.

dougP