A bit of a counterpoint on S&S.  I've never regretted getting my bike
with couplers ...

I've never been charged extra for my S&S coupled bike.  No one has
ever even asked what's in the box.  They ask if there is anything
fragile, and the answer is "no".  I realize this is a "YMMV" type
thing -- I know one person who has had a problem on one flight, though
elevating the issue to a supervisor resolved the problem and he didn't
have to pay extra.  I've taken five trips with my bike, the most
recent in August.

The first time you pack it, it's a bit of a puzzle, but there are
photos on the web of other people's packing jobs, and once you get
something that works, take photos of your own packing job.  For me, I
have to remove the handlebars (which means taking the cable off the
front brake and disconnecting the bike computer with a disconnect I
installed), unscrew the DaVinci couplers on the three cables running
to the back of the bike and disconnect the two sets of wiring (for
taillight and cadence), remove pedals, take the fenders off,
disconnect the S&S couplers, partially deflate the tires, unscrew the
rear derailleur, wrap everything in the S&S packing neoprene, and put
it all in the box.  It takes about 45 minutes.  Putting it all back
together takes about the same.  I've never even had to adjust the
derailleurs afterwards -- the DaVinci couplers do not affect cable
length when screwed tightly before and after.

Packing stuff in a cardboard box for UPS takes me the same amount of
time and requires very nearly the same amount of disassembly -- you
don't have to unscrew the DaVinci's, disconnect the wiring, and
unscrew the S&S couplers, but that's a savings of only about two
minutes.

I got the couplers installed when the frame was made, and it cost me
$600 extra.  At today's prices for taking a bike on the plane -- some
airlines charge $200 each way -- it paid for itself a while ago.

It's true that the airline rules are a moving target, so there is some
risk that a new S&S job won't payoff.  But that's true with the
folding route as well.  The airline person who wants to charge extra
for "a bike" even though it is in the legal size limit can do that
just as well for a folder as for a disassembled S&S bike.  And if the
airlines change the legal size limit, it could just as well impact
folders as it does the S&S bike.  UPS might start charging more for
larger-size boxes like bikes, as they did recently in Australia (?)
where even bicycle wheels are "oversize" if I recall.  I guess life is
a crapshoot and there's just no certainty about anything :-)

Nick