Let's try this again (hit send too soon).

I use one. The only thing I hated was the paper clip that holds the rod in.
Instead I use a rubber O-ring between the center tube attached to
contraption bolted to stem and the tube attached to the bag that is closest
to the bent end of the rod (if that makes sense). That way I can remove the
rod and the bag without having to remove the O-ring.  Eliminates rattle and
paper clip is no longer needed.