I'm an admirer of both Grant and Jan, but...

DougP and I traded bikes during a ride a few months back. His high-
trail Riv and my French style rando with super low trail. Both, IIRC,
with loaded front bags. The short version is that, while there were
differences, they were pretty minor, and both bikes were pleasant to
ride at speeds from 5 MPH to 40 MPH.

I put a bunch of effort into understanding geometry while learning
frame building, but that day more-or-less put the issue to bed for me.
Reading the trail debate can lead the reader to believe that it's
absolutely critical and that the wrong choice will have worse
consequences than failing third grade, but the reality is that, within
reason, you really do "get used to" just about any reasonable
geometry.

Which hopefully frees us up to talk about less contentious topics,
like religion or politics.