I should add that I didn't take apart anything other than the lever
assembly loose from the mounting post.  Everything was clean & dry so
I just put it back together at that point.  Starting from the bottom
(lever straight down) I get 2 "clicks", then a long bit of travel, the
3 more clicks.  The first click gets from small to next, but the next
click jumps to the 4th cog (from the bottom).  The last 3 engage the
biggest 3 cogs correctly.

dougP