Doug

The clicks simply don't just "go away".  I think I can guess what you
did.

I suspect that the shifter was not all the way down when you removed
it in the first place, so the whole lever part was already wound
several clicks around the internal part which is supposed to stay in a
fixed position.  When you put it back together, you put the Shimano
washer into the lever the only way it can go, with that single tab
lined up with the slot in the shift lever, and then lined up the
square recess on the back side of the Shimano washer with the square
shape on the plug that's in the bar.  You are probably just off by 90
degrees.

If you suspect I'm right, do the following:

1.  Move the shifter all the way down
2.  Remove the shifter and the Shimano washer
3.  Move the derailer by hand into the middle of the cogset.  Pedal so
the chain actually goes to a middle cog.  That will put some slack in
the cable
4.  Now put the lever and Shimano assembly back on, but rotated 90
degrees.  You might be pulling against cable, so help yourself out by
pushing the derailer a little more or have a helper do that part
5.  Snug up the screw that mounts the assembly back on
6.  Now you should have the same couple of clicks in the pull
direction, plus the missing 5 or so in the release direction

I hope that's it.

Bill