Just returned from a bike and beer credit card tour in SD county.
Coastal route is always nice.  If you want a climb...Escondido or El
Cajon to Julian is epic.  There are lots of public transportation
options..amtrak...coaster...sprinter to get you to start point if time
is limited.  Train stations should have SD bike map.