You are absolutely right, Ray. Right now I am just using the higher
gear. With the 40 mm tires, there is clearance at the back, except I
am limited in how far I can move the tire forward, because it butts up
against the kickstand plate when I slide it forward. That means when I
slide it all the way back in the lower gear, I run out of fork end,
and the chain is a bit slack in the lower gear. It would probably be
fine but I'm not used to riding with a slack chain so for now I am
just leaving it in one gear. I will try the lower gear again  when I
have time, and move the fender back accordingly.