The article leaves many unanswered questions.  How much did he carry
on his commute, how often did he need to stop, were there hills to
climb, did he monitor his efforts by heart rate to screen out
unintentional bias, was he trying to ride to the same perceived effort
or the same speed?  What tires were on each bike?

The upshot is that lightweight bicycles are in their element in
sporting riding/racing where weight can make some difference, not
commuting where stop signs and luggage make a couple of pounds on the
frame moot.  Different horses for different courses.

Bill