If you are comfortable and efficient (both together) then you are
fine. I personally find a hugely setback saddle to be both more
comfortable and efficient and this saddle position tends naturally to
a single plane for the back, be my bars 4 cm below saddle (Riv roads)
or 8 cm above (Fargo); but everyone's anatomy differs. I'd say ---
again --- let comfort and efficiency be your guide and, when in doubt,
seek professional advice. (I got my advice years ago from Grant and
kept, so to speak, running with it.)

The Sam is a winner for "on rails" cornering -- that was my experience.

Patrick "rides smoothly and comfortably and wholly pinch flat free on
his 58 cm '03 Curt Custom Road with 22 mm NOS Specialized 559 Turbos
on rough pavement at 85/95 and chooses these tires because no one
makes more supple and better rolling tires for 559 wheels -- wish I
could find the same in 28 mm" Moore

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Paul Yeoh <rawfoodcuis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After looking at some photos taken by Early Grey of me riding his Sam
> with drop bars (example here:)
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25150...@n08/5260456237/
>
> I noticed that I am particularly "bent" in the lower back. Well, no
> surprise really, I've noticed this elsewhere in my life but cycling on
> drop bars makes it really pronounced. What are the implications of
> this crooked posture? How would one go about straightening the spine
> during cycling or anything else?
>
> On today's ride on my bike (Sam w moustache bars set about level with
> saddle height) I made an effort to keep my back straight and tilt the
> pelvis more. Not easy, and I had a mild back ache 30 minutes into the
> ride. What does that mean?
>
> On another note, on my way back down the mountain I had an absolute
> blast on the Sam. Smooth, fast and winding road on Marathon Extremes
> and tektro cantilevers - wow. To me, the way the Sam feels on fast
> descents is the highlight of this all-round fantastic bike. (the way
> downhills can be a highlight of the overall cycling experience, unless
> you're riding rough pavement on a racing frame with 23 mm slicks at
> 100 psi) The extremes probably slowed down overall speed a little but
> still rode very smooth and comfortable. Not buzzy at all.
>
> Any advice / help with improving my posture much appreciated!

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW at resumespecialt...@gmail.com