I've run similar loading experiments on my Atlantis.  The unloaded set-
up is a Nitto small front rack with Acorn Box Rando bag which I often
load up to 6-8 lbs without issue.  I have a Nitto Big Rear Rack (2 lbs
of real steel) for anything I may pick up along the way.  Unless I've
got a box of books or similar casually strapped to the back, the bike
is stable although the steering feels a bit wandering if I need to
take both hands off the bars.  Not a big deal.

The Atlantis will shimmy with extra weight only on the rear (2
panniers, total weight less than 20 lbs), such as a lodging tour
load.  Move that same load to front low riders, no shimmy.  Add
another pair of panniers for camping (15 lbs total), and the most
stable arrangement is with the lighter pair on the rear.  4 bags, with
the heavier on the rear, and the bike has that "tail wagging the dog"
feel, and has developed a nasty shimmy more than once.

The above is all with the same 35 mm touring tires and a 175 lb
rider.  I've fiddled with the headset adjustment, etc., and will
change to a needle bearing HS when the present one dies.  My
conclusion, for me & what I do with the bike, is to put the bulk of
any load on the front, with whatever's left over on the rear.

William may have reached the same conlusion in his post where he
reports eliminating the shimmy when he removed the rear saddlebag (12
lbs).  In any case, these experiments are great fun to perform and we
learn a lot about our bikes, preferences, and what works for us.  Rene
(above) is the only other Atlantis owner I can recall posting about
shimmy.

dougP