On Dec 27, 7:16 pm, Ken Mattina <ken.matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Find someone that rides at your speed and stay with them.

I strongly second this, with a warning. Don't be tempted to fall in
with some people who are just a bit faster than your comfort zone.  My
first 200K I did that, in a 30-40mph headwind, and it blew me up
pretty spectacularly.

Also, be prepared to go through cycles of feeling good and feeling
crappy. It's amazing how you can feel like you're at your limit, then
after a brief rest and food stop, feel like you're raring to go.
Pacing and patience will see you through.

Oh, and home-made power bars with ginger in them to soothe the
stomach.

Have a blast!!

Ted Durant