On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 20:19 -0800, RonaTD wrote:

> On Dec 27, 7:16 pm, Ken Mattina <ken.matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Find someone that rides at your speed and stay with them.
>

> I strongly second this, with a warning. Don't be tempted to fall in
> with some people who are just a bit faster than your comfort zone.  My
> first 200K I did that, in a 30-40mph headwind, and it blew me up
> pretty spectacularly.

No telling how easy finding someone who rides at your speed might be,
though.  It took me from 1974 until 2010, riding at least one century
almost every one of those years and 6 or 7 the past 2 years, for me to
find someone who was riding at the same speed I was for more than 0.3 mi
mi or so on a 100 mi or longer ride.  I'd totally given up on the idea
and never expected it to ever happen.