Diet's a bit like luggage loading - you have to try stuff until you
find the one that works for you.  I disagree with Grant's notion that
calories in / calories out is incorrect.  From my observations, the
problem is people who take that approach typically go to extremes and
have unrealistic expectations of the speed of weight loss.  It can be
done but 1 lb a week is probably the upper limit.  Anything more rapid
is hard to control the urge to eat.

A much more fun program is riding your bike at least 100 miles per
week with the tires inflated to no more than 60 psi.  Mix in some dirt
trails, pushing the bike some, use the bike for utility and social
rides.  I still have to be conscious of what I eat but it doesn't take
a great deal of self control.

Beer, sad to say, must be rationed carefully.

RE:  Colnago - yea, looks like it got garaged or run over or something
severe.  This was not a JRA failure.

dougP