Totally into the health/diet stuff in a very outsider-looking-in-super
amateur way. I have to disagree with the idea that it ISNT simple
math; burn more than you take in to lose weight. I think the issue is
how to you burn more than you eat. It is very difficult to starve
yourself and eventually you crack-- maybe not today, and maybe not
tomorrow, but.... And eating things that might kill you (lots of fat)
seems risky too. When I was keeping track of how many miles i rode
each year I used to marvel at the guys who got to 15-20,000. To me,
the math didnt add up. That is 300 miles each weekend (gulp!). After
talking to a bunch of them, I realized they werent riding double
centuries every weekend, rather they were riding every single day or
darn close to it. That was there secret. I used to suck at saving
money and the more I tried the worse it got. I would put large
portions of a paycheck away and then have to charge my way through the
next two weeks undoing any good that the savings accomplished.
Eventually i figured out that saving small amounts of money each week
(almost insignificant sums at times) added up. For me, the big
realization was that you dont get to 15,000 miles or $50,000 dollars
overnight, just like you dont lose 30 pounds in a week. You arent
going to get skinny by running a marathon or riding a double century.
You will get skinny by eating less than you burn. It might take longer
(10 calories less per day is about a pound a year) but it is important
to realize that we didnt get fat overnight either. Most of us gained a
pound or two a year starting at about 18. Eat more of the things you
know are healthy (dont come in a plastic wrapper) and do something
most days. Just my perspective.

Cheers!
cm