What a great way to start the year!  The trick is maintaining that average
:-)

Riding 200K is very impressive.  For me, 100K is a long ride, so anything
more than that is impressive!

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Mike <mjawn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "As of last night, I'm averaging 200K per day for 2011."
>

> Ha! Anne, great write-up! Sounds like an epic ride and a great
> introduction to randonneuring. As I head into my fourth year of
> randonneuring I feel like I'm still learning a lot about packing,
> eating and how to pace myself. I've learned a lot so far but have a
> long ways to go. It's funny how much more there is to it than just
> getting on your bike and pedaling. I mean, that's a huge part of it,
> the most base part of it and yet there is so much more--packing and
> where and how to carry stuff (HB bag vs saddlebag vs jersey pockets,
> etc) and what to carry. Then there's the issue of what to eat and
> when! It's so easy to plan this stuff out while at home thinking about
> and upcoming brevet and so so different when you're out on the road.
>
> I remember on my first 200k it was pouring rain and I just motored
> through the first half of the out and back course. At the turnaround I
> latched on to the wheels of some experienced randonneurs, one who kept
> a blog about distance cycling, and so rode back with them, picking the
> one guy's brain (Dave Rowe) the entire way back. He talked about going
> into open controls and seeing randonneurs just staring at food in the
> store and being too discombobulated to figure out what they wanted,
> something I had sort of experienced just a little while before. Dave
> was referring more to late night controls on longer brevets but I got
> a glimpse of the idea/experience. It's a phenomena I've experienced
> multiple times since. It's really baffling. I'll often chuckle to
> myself remembering the conversation with Dave. Anyway, that first 200k
> was a complete success--no bonk, no mechanicals, and I finished with a
> strong time (8:28).
>
> I've gone on to finish that same brevet in under 8hrs but finished
> other brevets pretty close the cut-off. I once finished a 600k with
> only and hour and 15 minutes to spare. I've had a few mid-brevet bonks
> but so far nothing that made me DNF. And as for mechanicals so far
> I've only had a fender come loose and a few flats.
>
> But back to you, again, a great ride report. Congrats on the strong
> ride. Looking forward to hearing your report about your 300k! Do it!
> That really is the best distance, it's just a good long time on the
> bike without being as torturous as a 400k. And in spite of the 400k
> being rather torturous, it's still something to experience. And you
> know, if you've done a 200k, 300k and 400k, there's really no reason
> not to do a 600k which is actually easier than a 400k because you
> hopefully get to sleep a bit and who doesn't want to long epic days on
> the bike?
>
> Oh, and as for lighting. I have yet to get a generator hub I've been
> using an Ixom IQ over the past couple of years and it's fine. As for
> mounting it, you have more options than you might think--on the h-bar,
> mid-fork with a Gino mount if you have a mid fork braze on or even
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS