I believe chain lubes tend to follow a similar usage pattern much like
people messing with their golf game... there's always something out
there that's the next best thing, that's gonna make your game (or
chain) work better... My 80-year old dad has been buying golf-tip
books, tapes and gadgets for most of his adult life, each time
convinced he had unlocked the "secret" to improving his putting, his
chipping, his driving... Then one day recently he bought a cheap used
driver at a local thrift store (he couldn't explain why, he already
has a beautiful set of woods), and almost magically he went out and
shot the best round of golf in his life (true story).

I recall convincing myself (for years) that dipping my chain in hot
wax was the only way to go... I finally tired of this method when I
realized I had to do it so often... Since then I've wandered from lube
to lube over the years, through the variety of so-called dry lubes to
ice wax (yuck!) to finally.... get this... compressor oil... Don't ask
me why, but I find this stuff to be the most reliable (and cheapest).
Really I'm convinced any petroleum-based lube will work just fine, as
long as you apply it correctly, do it often, and clean the chain when
it's mucked up...

So if there's anything I learned from my dad (and my endless quest to
find the ultimate chain lube), it's this:

Stop worrying about it, and use what you've got on your garage
shelf... It's worked for centuries.  Amen.

BB