and then there is organized bike rides that have 100's of people driving
many miles to ride a bike a short distance then drive back home.  In St
Louis, Mo Trailnet has one of these type rides weekly.  I would wager a
single weekend ride here wipes out all the progress the comuters make in one
day. Not saying don't comute, just saying I don't see cycling as green. It's
entertainment for most folks or exercise but also an excuse / reason to
drive thier cars many more miles.

Cycling has many uses and is wonderful .. but riding just for green reasons
is or would be weak for me.   I ride because I like riding.

Kelly