on 1/19/11 8:04 AM, JoelMatthews at joelmatth...@mac.com wrote:
>> Cycling has many uses and is wonderful .. but riding just for green reasons
>> is or would be weak for me.   I ride because I like riding.
>
> I got rid of my car for green reasons.  I certainly enjoy riding my
> bike.

And I didn't really read anything in the article that said those were
mutually exclusive.  The main point seemed to be that the people who would
adopt cycling because of green-ness alone are more of an outlier.  Getting
people to act on goals which potentially play out over generations is not
easy.  It's not the "wiring" we've demonstrated, historically.

Monday was the 50th anniversary of Eisenhower's "Military-Industrial
Complex" farewell address speech, the bulk of which is way OT, but there's
always been a part of that I've kept written down:

"Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we
peer into society's future, we -- you and I, and our government -- must
avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering for our own ease and
convenience the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the
material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their
political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all
generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow."

I quote that here to recognize that we still have that challenge before us.
An adversarial relationship to those who are not in agreement with us, or
acting the way we feel they should, does little to move things toward the
greater good.

It's always about the ride.  About exuding the spirit of why we ride.  That
is what we share implicitly and overtly when we show up at work or the store
astride a bicycle. You never know who it will affect or how.

- J

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi