Which canti brakes do you have? Low profile or high profile?
integrated straddle hangers suck for this reason alone. integrated
hangers were made for ease of assembly not for flexibility in setup.

Get a non integrated straddle hanger or if you have low profile brakes
go with high profile brakes which allow a higher straddle cable
placement.

On my high profile cantis have the straddle hanger placed at about
the  bottom headset cup (650b wheel) well out of the way to cause
interference. Braking performance is fantastic snappy and no feeling
of sponge.