I have both a 650b bike and a 700c touring bike with somewhat fat 42c
tires, and don't really notice a difference in steering response
between the two.    They have similar angles and trail, and handle
very similarly.     I agree that fit and comfort are going to be the
most important thing.

Another thing to consider is that there might be a bit more 'toe-
overlap' on a 55cm AHH with 700c wheels versus a 54 or 56 with 650b
tires (which will probably have none at all).

-Matt