Thanks all for your replies and advice!  I agree that it's personal
and individual, and ultimately the choice is up to me.  It's
comforting to hear from you all that there's not a lot of difference
in the way the ride feels between 700c and 650b.  I'm guessing that
the 54 didn't feel right to me because the frame was a little smaller
than what I wanted (forcing the stem and seatpost to be higher than
I'm used to).  A lot of the perfect fit, I agree, will be getting the
right saddle, pedals, bars, stem -- the little stuff that gets tweaked
along the way.

I'll use this bike mostly for commuting, but with some longer rides
and some European inn-to-inn tours.  I imagine I'll choose tires
between 32 and 38.  The bike will stay on the pavement most of the
time.  I'm in the Bay Area now, but getting ready to move to Berlin
soon, so I probably won't have much a chance to take it on the famed
California fire trails before I go.

I think that the 55 is probably the way to go, if only because it will
ease my paranoia about getting stuck in rural Belorussia with a broken
rim. As for toe-overlap, I'm not too worried about that, since it's
rarely been a problem for me so far.

It's good to hear that wheel size alone probably wasn't the issue.
This will be my only "nice" bike for the next several years, but if
the budget expands a few years from now, I'll definitely consider
adding a 650b to the line-up.

Thanks again for your help!