Thanks all for the encouraging words.  To answer some of these questions:

@ Thomas: the cream head tube is not standard.  I knew from the beginning it
was an extra expense that I was going to spring for.  Riv luckily had an
unpainted 48cm frame in stock which knocked down the price a little...

So yes, those are Honjos, and they are extra long.  Whaddya think?  Does it
look funny?  It's possible they were meant to be extra long on 700c tires
(mine are 650B).  Are there any guiding principles on how much coverage
fenders should provide, etc?  I did a lot of flickr searching and these are
possibly the longest I've seen.  Although if you look at Jan Heine's
randonneurs from an online sample page of Bicycle Quarterly or in the
Reader, his are pretty long too.

@ William: yes, I may just use some spacers in there...I'm a little clueless
about what makes a good fender line other than just eyeballing it but I am
game for making the right tweaks if anyone has suggestions...

@ Minh: yes, I've got the fender mounted to both the Nitto platform and I'm
also using the fork crown daruma.

Hope these comments are helpful--

Best,