> About the only thing I'll say by way of defense of the question is
> maybe 2% of the buying public can discern these differences. I
> empathize with a builder (whether bike or house) that gets asked these
> question because there's no way of knowing up front whether the person
> asking is in the 2% or not. Nor is there a polite way, especially in
> email, to suss it out before answering. But odds are 49 to 1 they
> aren't.

I would wager that even some pre-eminent bike builders can not say
with absolute certainty that if bike A has a downtube with wall
thickness x it will deliver ride y to a rider of weight z.  There are
some general assumptions that may be made.  The more experienced the
more fine tuned those assumptions become.  In the end, however,
factors such as hub, rim and tire choice, saddle used, road
conditions, etc. will all play rolls largely out of the frame
builder's control.