I think Michael meant to say you have to pull the cranks, and measure
the spindle length. I have calipers if you want them. I don't know if
spindle length matters. I was just thinking that if the spindle is too
long, than the chain might be exiting the granny not in a straight
line heading for the big cog, but is being bent sideways to the left,
which could perhaps make it more reluctant to release from the
chainring. A too short spindle could perhaps do the same thing,
bending the chain to the right.

Take a photo from the rear with the chain on the granny and largest
cog. Is the chainline straight?

Take a photo of the clearance between the chainrings and the chainstay
from above. Is it really tight, or is there lots of space?

Just to re-iterate, I am flying by the seat of my pants here. Just
trying to think out of the box.

Gernot