Thanks for all your replies.

Seth: Just checked, its not the rails.

Patrick: Think I read on EcoVelo to use that paraffin/beeswax ratio.
It worked really well when the chain was still clean, chain ran more
silent than when new.

Matt: Yes, perhaps I should try an 8spd chain. They have bigger spaces
than 9 spd don't they? I think Wipperman's are available here, but for
a hefty price (like 1500 thb - 48 USD). I have been a veg oil user
myself on my other bikes, it was great when I lived in wetter
Singapore. The Riv was the first bike to get chronic chain suck and so
I thought I'd try wax since the climate is dry and super dusty this
time of year in Thailand.