Pete

I'm a scientist and an engineer, by profession and by DNA.  I'm wired
to be curious.  I'm wired to tinker and to question.  I'm not obsessed
with increasing speed, nor am I obsessed to get the ride over with.
On brevets, when you ride fat 650B tires, you'll get a number of
people on 700c road bikes ask you "Why would you want to slow yourself
down like that?"  They just assume that my 584x41s are absolute pigs.
I've never been more comfortable on a performance bike than I am on my
Hilsen with fat 584s.  At the end of a 10 hour day, my back, rear end,
arms shoulders, hands and feet all feel great.  Once my legs catch up
I have no doubts that my body could handle the longer events.  Having
found a new plateau in comfort, now I want to test the assertion that
my fat 650B tires are actually significantly FASTER than 700x28s.
It's hard for me to believe it, so I need to see it for myself.  What
I know is that my Hilsen feels much faster than my Hillborne, even
though it has much fatter tires (650x41 vs 700x33).  That equation has
too many variables for sure.

It would be fascinating to me to find that the more comfortable tire
choice is also the faster tire choice.  I don't know if that's what
I'll find.  I expect that the data will be inconclusive, too close to
call.  For sure I expect I'll continue using fat 650Bs for all my long
distance events.  The comfort is way too much for me to pass up.  A
lot of comfort is bike fit, though, and the 700x28 wheels won't change
any of my fit points on the bike, so maybe I'll feel just as good.
Who knows?  Curious folks like me think this way.

Speaking of curious people being wired differently...If you really
want to blow your mind, ask Grant what the perfect rim diameter is.
He has an answer that he will defend emphatically and his perfect size
rim has never been produced.  So, don't misconstrue Grant's 'enjoy the
ride' rhetoric to suggest that Grant doesn't sweat the details on
bikes.  He's one hundred times more technically nitpicky than me, and
I think that's a very good thing, and one of the myriad reasons I like
buying Rivendells.