I think Patrick's comments are right on.  I rode a metric century
today on Paris-Motos (mounted on 32 spoke Dyads laced to Phil cassette
hubs).  They felt fine cruising along solo, but I sure didn't feel
like trying to wind them up to jump on one of the pacelines that
passed me.  Had I been on my crabon go-fast running on 24/27 spoke
Campy wheels and 25 mm (measured 26 mm) Vittoria Open CX's I would
have been more able to make the jump.  What wears you out in a fast
group isn't so much rolling resistance as the constant accelerations
and decelerations, and light, skinny wheels and tires seem to spin up
faster.

That said, I was very comfortable today with 65 PSI in the tires and a
sprung Brooks Champion Flyer under my butt and that was what I wanted
for today's ride.  65 miles and 1655 feet of climbing in 4:32 won't
get me a pro team contract but it felt fine for this overweight 52
year old.

Bill