Two years ago we moved from Hong Kong Island to the New Territories.
There is a bike path right beside my job that runs nearly to the new
domicile and I decided that I would really like to begin commuting by
bike again. I had a triathlon bike but it was unsuited to the needs of
a commuter. I thought about reworking that bike with smaller wheels
and longer reach brakes but by the time I did that I’d have spent a
far amount of the cost of a new bike and as I hadn’t bought a new bike
since 1997 I decided it was time especially since I’d wanted to do
some touring again.

To be honest, the Sam Hillborne was my 3rd or 4th choice. I was a bit
put off by the 650B wheels on the Sam and the expanded geometry was
problematic as well.  I did not have the budget to replace this bike
if it didn’t work out. So I wanted to go for the sure thing.
 When I was an undergraduate I had an old Dawes Galaxy that I bought
used and rode for probably 10,000 miles. I loved the bike and tried to
buy a new Galaxy frame. I know the new ones are welded and not brazed
but the geometry is the same and it was the logical choice for me. I
could not get the dealers in the UK to respond to an Email. My next
choice was a Thorn Nomad frame from Saint John’s Cyclery in London but
the person who deals with overseas sales there was on vacation. I
looked at a Surly LHT but there were some things about the frame I
didn’t like. I also talked to LSL Titanium in China to see if they
would do a one off frame for me all to no avail.

I have an extreme Shimano allergy. I wanted a frame and for because I
avoid anything with the Shimano name on it if I can. Call me all the
names you wish about or feel sorry for me but I’ve been that way since
the 1970’s. I hated Shimano long before it was fashionable to do so.

So, after a couple of months of searching I was reduced to a frame by
VO or a Sam Hillborne or possible a NOS generic bike from a local bike
shop that I didn’t trust.

After looking the Sam Hillborne looked like the best fit for the
budget, almost by default as the origional Galaxy was less expensive
so I contacted Renaissance Cycles from the link Rivendell’s web page.
I used Renaissance because I wanted to deviate from the build that
Rivendell would be comfortable with in some ways and didn't want Grant
to insist on a frame that I was a fraid would be too big. The bike
arrived in July of 2009. I have ridden it maybe 9000 miles since then
including a tour from Hong Kong to Shanghai last summer. It is my
primary comutting bike.

I agree that bikes take on the personality of their owners; more so
when the owner builds the machine from the frame up because they then
have the owners biases and preferences in the build. This bike’s build
is quite eccentric. Grant probably would have had me on the 56 cm
frame and wouldn’t have stocked the straight bars that I like.

Build Specs
Frame & Fork:  Sam Hillborne 52 cm
Rims: Velocity Dyad 650b
Hubs: DT Swiss 370
Tires: Maxy Fasty

Headset: Tange
Stem: Nitto Periscopa 80 cm
Handlebars: Surly 1X1 54 cm riser
Grips: Cork
Barends: Ritchey

Seat Post: Sugino
Saddle: Brooks Professional Titanium rails

Bottom Bracket: Tange
Crank Sugino XD 600 – 172.5 - 26/38/48
Cassette Sram 13-30 8 speed (I think it may be an 11-30)
Chain: KMC 8 speed
Derailleurs: NOS Suntour XC-Pro Long cage rear 31.8 Clamp front
Shifters: NOS SunTour XC-Pro 8 speed thumb shifters
Brake levers: NOS SunTour XC-Pro
Brakes: NOS Suntour XC-pro cantilevers (Now changed to Avid single
digit 7 linear pull due to a malfunction)
Pedals: VO touring with dual clips and straps

Rack: Soma Deco
Fenders: Esge
Seat bag: Generic 1.7 litre
Panniers: Brasil Briefcase
Lights: B&M/Sanyo Bottom Bracket dynamo (I had to make a special mount
for this to fit as the wheel base is too long otherwise)