Curious: are J&M and at least some Timberlands still of the same
quality they were 20 years ago? I remember that even in the early '90s
quality of, say, Allan Edmonds had gone down and I know that the name
Timberland now covers junk make in China or Thailand (cheap leather,
fabric lining). Ditto of course the Brooks Brothers brand and others
like Coach and Gap and Nautica and and and -- f***ing branding and
brand expansion. I shop at Goodwill and can afford to be picky. (Tho'
I did spend large $$$ back in the '80s on expensive and new clothing
and shoes -- my yuppie, WDC days).

Somewhat like Masi and Bertin and other good old names covering if not
junk, then certainly lower end, cheap labor made goods with little
relation to the originals.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM, bigflax925 <jonflax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside to the discussion, does anyone recall appx 5 years ago
> when Johnston & Murphy released a leather copy of the old Avocet
> touring shoe from the mi-80's?
>
> It wasn't aimed at cyclists, although I seem to recall that it was
> called the "Bicycle" or something similar. It was leather and suede
> with the same cut upper as the Avocet. Aside from being suede and
> having a chevron type tread (rather than the molded ridge for the
> cleats), it was the same shoe.
>
> I think had they marketed it towards cyclists and maybe changed the
> sole up a bit, they would've sold a ton. I would've ten pairs myself.
>
> I'd love to find a pair of these.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact