Quite nice -- I wouldn't mind some in black.

I owned a pair of a particular AE model (forget name; pointy,
thin-soled, wingtip) dating back pre-'80s (I got it at a thrift store)
and a few years later (mid-'80s) I got the same model in current form.
Big difference in quality of workmanship, tho' the materials are as
good -- I still own the latter and wear them for weddings and
funerals. (The quality of work is quite good on the later ones but not
of the stellar quality of the old ones.)

Of which speaking: you can't easily find nowadays good quality,
hard-finish leather shoes -- the kind that take a high polish: it's
all  soft leather. I have several pairs of decent boots, including a
Macona and various L--- forget what it is -- want to say "Laprade" but
....; big name; and while those are nice, the uppers are that soft-ish
leather while an exotic multi-hundred dollar pair I got from my
brother (from a thrift store) has that hard finish leather that shines
up so nicely.

Patrick Moore, who just last week found a nice Joseph Aboud
wool/cotton zip-top, faux-turtle pullover in his size at GW for <$5.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM, RonaTD <teddur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Timberland bike shoe reminds me of the Allen-Edmonds Mitchell
> (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/2251V,02,_Allen-Edmonds-Evans-
> Shoes-Lace-Ups-For-Men.html)
> I have two pairs, dark brown and black. Grant tipped me to them last
> year, and luckily the AE HQ is just up the road from here and they had
> some left.
>
> As to Patrick's question, Allen-Edmonds still makes dress shoes of the
> highest quality. The Mitchell isn't on a par with their handmade dress
> shoes, but they are still very good. You can view it as a shame that
> they put their name on cheaper stuff, or you can view it as a good
> thing that helps them stay in business making the quality stuff, too.
> It's pretty easy to tell which is which - you get what you pay for!
>
> Talking about quality, I had a pair of Timberland boat shoes that I
> bought around 1980 that lived an extraordinarily long life, including
> 3 summers teaching sailing at a place with a dirt/gravel lot. (I
> commuted by bike pretty often, so they were biking shoes, too. Had
> some nice black lines straight across the soles.) Sebago's typically
> died in less than a season on that job.
>
> The Mitchell is exactly what I wanted for commuting shoes. I can wear
> them with anything shy of a full business suit, and I haven't carried
> a suit on my bike in fifteen years. They are extraordinarily
> comfortable. I wear them a lot, even when I'm not biking. I've always
> found that shoes that lace all the way down the foot seem to work well
> for my low-volume, high-arch shape.
>
> Ted Durant
> Milwaukee, WI
> 40 and fog today. 83 and thunderstorms tomorrow. Ah, spring!

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW at patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com