I think you guys are making this way more complicated and confusing
than it needs to be.

If you want to lift something with a cable it is best to pull it in
exactly the direction you want it to move.    So a long and nearly
vertical arm, like the neo-retros move upward in a wider, flatter arc
and therefore need a higher cable set pretty close to 90 degrees to
lift the arm upward.   A lower profile like the Shimano brake moves
more inward in a narrower arch and so will work better with a shorter
cable, also set close to 90 degrees.  I'm not staring at my neo-retros
right now, but I believe Paul recommends a 6" high straddle and I
believe that is about where mine is set.  They work great.  I also
have both the Racers (on a my tandem) and the Racer Ms on my
Rambouillet.  You will get a pretty good angle at about 4" on these.
That is where mine are set and they work quite well.

michael