On Apr 14, 8:45 am, Dan <pjssu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> he calls it a "small lug", so the obvious conclusion is that it's for
> a TIG'd mountain bike (that's what the wide crown is for).
>
> I know this is heresy, but I hope I'm right.

Maybe the crown/unidentified-thingy is for the commuter bike Rivendell
is working on-- which I don't think will be tig'd, but will be no-
frills.   Here is a link to an interview with GP, where he mentions it
(it's in the comments/questions section below the main interview):

http://37signals.com/svn/posts/2772-bootstrapped-profitable-proud-rivendell

city bike?"

GP:  "We’re working on it now, but seriously, this is between you and
I. Since it’ll be a Riv, it has to be lugged and steel; and as a
commuter bike, it should be tough and affordable. So we plan to use
cheap good tubing (all CrMo), and go down & dirty in the details when
fancying them up wouldn’t add function; and then sell it primered but
not painted, the idea being that you could rattle-can it yourself,
make it look cheap and ugly and already stolen, to scare off dope
addict thieves looking for a quick flip for their next fix. The
lugging of it limits the lowness of the price, but we are working on
it. Shorter answer: Yes."

Sounds like it will be awesome.

-Matt