"on a bike that could conceivably be ridden by a 290-lb rider, a
little conservativeness is not a bad thing"

This is something all of us as rivendell consumers have to come to
terms with.  The potential for riders of this stature is real and a
constraint that production bike designers face and custom builders
deal with on a case by case basis.  For me to get to 290 I would need
over a 70lb touring load and my pockets full of penies, and I am not a
small guy.  If I want a "road" bike, no matter what the percieved
light and fast marketing schtik is, it will likely be built for the
potential heavy weight.  Not that this is bad, but something to be
realistic about whan you shop at this pricepoint or production model.
Once the bikes are in the wild the designer has no control over who
will do what with them, but if the frame is in its as sold state, they
likely bear some liabilty for its performance.

I was initially enamored with these, even considered picking one up to
use as a cheeper fast and light touring bike, maybe even sell the
Roadeo, but I can say I am in the undertube kills it for me group.  It
takes the bike to a level that is covered by my Rawland dSogn, it has
only one tube heavier than the nubers thrown out here, and was sold as
a mtn bike with no diagatube.

Rob (uderstanding the designer's challenge for big people doing silly
things on a road bike) in Ventura
-
http://oceanaircycles.com/