In my experience w/ Paselas over the last 15 years or so, they have been the
best tires I can find (light, roll great, cheap), but are prone to sidewall
problems.  They are much lighter and livelier than Marathons (total dogs,
YMMV) and when I can get them on sale for $15 each, I don't mind the
longevity problem.  I've never (knock, knock) had a catastrophic failure.
It's more a problem of the sidewalls getting brittle and easily damaged.  I
ride through plenty of rock gardens and gravel with them BTW.  Just keep an
eye out for splits and you'll be fine.  I seal mine up with Brikenstock
Corklife latex when I see one.  This happens long before the tread gets worn
down.  Col de la Vies have this problem to a lesser degree.  Ruffy Tuffies
have been the worst for me.   The treads consistently crack and fall apart
on me, although the sidewalls remain good.

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM, scott <clankbonesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Marathon, 32-622 / 28 x 1.25 / 700 x 32c 21oz $ 37.00"
> Those are the ones.
>
> Steve: I some folks have never had issues, others have sworn them off
> from bad experiences. I think location, time of year, maybe weight all
> might be factors, but I stopped using them after two sidewall failures
> in a week (two separate tires). I've never had any problems with
> Schwalbe tires, so that is my pony from now on.
>
> On May 1, 5:40 pm, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 15:12 -0700, Philip Williamson wrote:
> > > I have had the same sidewall experience as you with the Pasela, but
> > > have been very happy with other Panaracer tires, like the Fire XC Pro
> >
> > I have 32mm Paselas that are now in their 3rd year, having seen three
> > winters on my VO Randonneur, and their sidewalls are fine.
> >
> > I used Paselas for years on my Bruce Gordon, and never had a sidewall
> > issue.
> >
> > I have been using Panaracer Col de la Vie tires since 2005, and have
> > never had a sidewall issue.
> >
> > I also have been using Panaracer-made Grand Bois tires since 2008 and
> > have never had a sidewall issue.
> >
> > And I've used Rolly Poly and Ruffy Tuffy tires since 2002 and again,
> > never had a sidewall issue.

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS