I mean "wandering" in the bike sense, not the car sense. That is, when
I rode uphill seated in a low gear, the front end wanted to go its own
way and not mine. The Herse (for example) is much better in this
regard without for all that being far worse on downhills.

Patrick "no ball joints on my bikes" Moore

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 10:38 -0600, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
>> Here is one for the "con" side. I own and love my custom Rivs (I've
>> owned 3, still have 2) which climb superbly. I briefly owned a Sam
>> Hill and found it far more sluggish on flats and hills and, more to
>> the point (since the SH was set up as a heavy duty touring/light off
>> road use bike while the customs are all lightish road bikes; Jack
>> Brown Greens on Velocity/Deore wheels) found that it wandered
>> annoyingly up hills, especially with any sort of load on the rear. As
>> for a heavy front load, it was so bad I didn't get as far as doing any
>> hills with it. A light (10 lb or less) in an Ostrich bag didn't help
>> the uphill wandering, either.
>>
>> OTOH, it carved fast downhills very, very well.
>

> You ought to be very clear about what you mean by "wandering."  To most
> people, that word implies behavior similar to a car with bad ball joints
> and tie rod ends: steering is disconnected from the steering wheel, and
> the wheels go where they want to regardless of what you do with the
> steering.  That is NOT, I'm sure, what you mean.  I strongly suspect
> what you call "wandering" is in fact wheel flop steering oversensitivity
> -- which would fit in nicely with "downhill carving," aka high trail
> locking in on a line.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.
(Rilke, Buddha in Glory)