After breaking my first Sturmey S3X three speed fix hub I was super excited
by the prospect of replacing it with a S2c duomatic kick shift hub. I went
out to Mission Bicycles here in San Francisco where they even had a
S2-hubed-bike (the one without the coaster brake) in stock.

They were happy to let me try it out, but they warned it was not the most
user friendly of things. Hard to shift, and hard to know if you shifted,
they said.

Pah! I said. I'm sure an old hand like myself will have no troubles! And off
I went.

Indeed, by the time I got back (a couple miles later) I could shift reliably
50-75% of the time. I was feeling quite accomplished.

Then I thought: How much do I really want a heavy, inefficient, difficult to
operate, potentially fragile hub that only gives a 38% range?

No Duomatics for me, thanks. I'll stick with either a true single speed or a
bigger range, like a Sturmey 5 or a Alfine 8.

(Or, if you are looking for something silly, a S3X. My second one now has 30
miles on it and is doing fine so far.)

Best,
Reed